Website Navigation

Lily's Home Page

Read Lily's Story

Lily's Photo Gallery

What is a Preemie?

Preemie Parents
Helpful Links Page

Latest News Articles for Prematurity

Prematurity Prevention
Research Donations

Lily's Amazon Baby Store

I Sell Avon

Lily Story Calendar
- Latest Update
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- March 2007
- February 2007
- January 2007
- December 2006
- Coming Home
- Lily's Health Gets Worse
- NICU Time
- Something is wrong
-Prior to Lily

Lily of My Heart
Information Articles

to read
Lily of My Heart
Help for Preemies
Website Articles

Lily's Story: A Micro-Preemie's First Year

Latest Update
Prior Segment: May 2007 - Spring Brings Out Our Song Bird Lily

Lily's story in pictures can be found in the Photo Gallery

Lily was born prematurely at 25 weeks (6 months) gestation. She was a micro-preemie, weighing just 1 pound 11.5 ounces and was only 13 inches long. Lily spent her first three months in the hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). We are happy to have her home now. Today Lily is a happy, healthy, and very vocal little girl. This is her story.

(June 6, 2007): We went to Marshfield today for Lily to meet with a physical therapist and and neurologist for her offical 6 month adjusted age check up with the specialists. The therapist was impressed with Lily and said she is right on track for everything. She gave us some exercises to do to strengthen Lily's abdomen muscles. Since Lily is still a little chubby, it is harder for her to get herself into a seated position. She can hold the seated position as long as she wants if we put her that way, but she doesn't do it on her own. Lily rolled both directions and reach for her toys. At the end the thearapist said the only thing she was concerned about was that she hadn't seen Lily smile. We cracked up at that becuase Lily is usually such a flirt. So we got out the cameras and Lily smiled.

We then visited the children's Neurologist. She was wonderful, and Lily took to her right away, smiling and chattering. Dr Crane checked Lily's reflexes and coordination. She said we should be feeding Lily in a high chair now because she is more than ready. Dr. Crane also showed us Lily's MRI from right before she left the NICU. I had mentioned I was concerned about Lily not getting her front teeth. We were shown that Lily does have both baby and adult front teeth. It was kind of creeping, because the MRI showed Lily's brain and eyeballs and everything.

Dr. Crane said Lily is doing better than expected for a 25 week preemie, and we couldn't ask for more. In a nutshell, Lily is perfect so far. Jed asked when we would find out if she were a genius. Dr. Crane told him very seriously that we should be happy with what we have. Jed later told me he was trying to make a joke and it didn't work.

Lily weighed 20 pounds, 4 ounces at the doctor's office. The nurse also measured her and said she was 26 inches. I asked her to double check that figure because we were told Lily was 26.5 inches a couple of weeks ago. So she measured again and came up with 26 and a third.

(June 8, 2007) I bought Lily a high chair. She enjoys using it. Jed said it was like Lily was a little person sitting at the table. We went to IHop for dinner and put Lily in a high chair. It was the first time we all ate together as a family. Before it was always, I'll feed her over here while you eat. It was nice. Lily ate green beans while Jed and I both had breakfasts for dinner.

(June 11, 2007) Daddy Jed had to go to Kentucky to grade calculus tests for APT. We drove to the airport and saw him off. Lily was such a good girl. She didn't scream like she did in March at the airport. What a difference 3 months make! We even ate at the airport restaurant before Jed's flight. Then Lily and I drove back home. I'm proud of myself that I only pulled over once to check on her. She had fallen asleep and as usual, I wanted to be sure she was okay. Riding in the car generally makes her sleepy.

Lily misses her Daddy. She called out "Ah-eee" (Lilyspeak for Daddy) in the evening. I gave her extra lovings. Daddy will be back next Tuesday.

(June 12, 2007) Our nurse/case worker from Birth to Three came over and dropped off a baby activity center for Lily. Lily absolutely loves it. It is so nice to be able to have her in the kitched playing while I work on dishes. I've lugged it to various rooms of the house because it is just so convenient. We get to keep it as long as we need it, and then return it. I really like this program. It's nice to not have to spend $80 dollars on something Lily will outgrow in a few months.

(June 14, 2007) It is my mother's 65 birthday. Today Lily learned to blow raspberries. It startedon my neck while I was holding her and now she does it on my arms and my legs.

(June 15, 2007) Lily has been screaming when I try to lay her down for the night. I let her cry, figuring she would cry herself to sleep, as I couldn't find anything else wrong with her. After a hour of her fussing I had to give in and give her some Children's Tylenol. She calmed down after that and fell asleep within 10 minutes. I really hate to give her medicine, but her gums must be hurting her.

(June 16, 2007) We hard another evening of fussing and refusing to sleep. This time she upset herself so bad she spit up. That's twice today that she has spit up. I've probably been having too much dairy in my diet, and the breastmilk may be upseting her stomach. I gave her a bedtime bath which seemed to calm her some, but not completely. The swing did the trick and I was able to get her into her crib. She sleeps through the night once she finally falls asleep.

Read from the beginning: Something Is Wrong.

Lily of My Heart is licensed in the state of Wisconsin
PO Box 763
Plover, WI 54467

Contact us at


See video of Lily below.
Thank you and please visit us again soon.